FNG - Friendly New Guy
That's You! So one of your buddies will not stop talking about this F3 workout group. You're starting to see him get in the best shape of his life and the thought of showing up one morning at 5:30 AM is becoming more of an inner-personal conflict than an outright rejection. This is the place where you will get some of the basic information that will help you get a better idea of what to expect when you take the plunge and show up.
Tips for Your First Workout (We call it "Posting")
So you were on the fence about showing up to one of these workouts, but now you have made it past our favorite excuses for not showing up and decided to set your alarm and show up. We're excited to see you in the gloom, brother! Just know, you are the reason we post for a beatdown every morning. And soon, someone else will be the reason you post. There inlays the WHY behind F3: To help other men become better husbands, fathers, and leaders in their homes, communities, and workplaces by helping them accelerate in their Fitness, Fellowship, and Faith. We do that together with other men because we were created to be in community with other men. Male loneliness is a disease and F3 is a cure. F3 exists to plant, grow, and serve small workout groups for men for the invigoration of male community leadership.
- Most new guys are not in F3 shape yet. We weren't either. When Val first posted, he splashed merlot, then spent the next six hours trying to recover from the beatdown. Don't worry, you don't have to go through the same experience he did. At the beginning of a beatdown, the Q will give a disclaimer that will recommend the modification of exercises as needed. We also have a core tenant to always Pick Up the Six and never leave a man behind. "Leave No Man Behind, but Leave No Man Where You Found Him."
- Know your time is valuable to us. As is ours. This is why we start at the time posted and not a second before or after. We will also finish a beatdown at the scheduled time which is usually 45 minutes on weekdays and 1 hour on Saturdays. Some AOs have very large campuses which the Qs will use to the advantage of the group and showing up late will mean scouring the campus or texting your buddy to locate the group.
- Dress for the low temperature PLUS your body's warmed up temperature. The general rule of thumb is dress so you don't need to shed layers when you get warm. For example, if the low is 40ºF in the morning, you may want to wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt so you aren't throwing off a sweatshirt mid-beatdown. Some of the Qs like to travel long distances in their beatdowns and leaving your sweatshirt could mean making a long trip back to retrieve it later.
- Bring a pair of gloves, or don't. Doing Merkins on rough concrete or curling a coupon will not hurt as bad with gloves. Then again what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
- Get to know the lingo. F3 is unique in its language. You will hear a lot of terms thrown around at the beatdown. While many terms will be self explanatory, you may hear someone say "we are going to CLOWN CAR over to the Convergence BD" and not know what was just said. This is where the F3 Lexicon and Exicon can be a lifesaver. And remember, in-cadence exercises end on "HALT" not "TEN!"
- All F3 beatdowns end in a COT or Circle of Trust. Men are in desperate need of other male relationships. The COT is where we can share our burdens and lift each other up in prayer to the SKY Q. This is also the time where we do the Name-o-rama where you will receive your forever F3 Name. It is suggested you take and own whatever name you are given and don't be a Martha or chances are you could get an even more effacing name.
- Get connected on Slack with the other PAX. You will be invited after your first post to an AO. This is the best way to stay "in the know" and maintain a feeling of belonging to the group. There are lots of conversations about the many events and service opportunities going on within F3Gwinnett here. It is also a great place to let the other guys know you are HC for the BD.
- Follow F3Gwinnett on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram and tag us on your FNG post. If there wasn't a picture, it didn't happen.
- Come with a positive attitude and high expectations. You will be lifted up and never let down.
- Come back to the next beatdown. Try other AO locations based on where you live and what fits your schedule. The more you come, the more you will accelerate in your 1stF. It never gets easier, you just get stronger.